Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 1995 11:27:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      Damian Furlong <damian@furry.internet-eireann.ie>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cat file.au > /dev/audio hangs after 1/2 secound.

Hi

I've just configured a new kernel to use a soundblaster 16. All devices are
seen at boot time but when I cat an 'au' file to /dev/audio I get a 1/2 second
of sound and then nothing. The command appears hung and cannot be interupted.

With smaller au files e.g. laugh.au from the sun collection I was able to interupt
the 'cat' but it appeared that all the file had been 'played' at this point.

any ideas ?

thanks in advance

Damian

Details :

Kernel config file :

# soundblaster 16
options "ALLOW_CONFLICT_IOADDR"
options "ALLOW_CONFLICT_IRQ"
options "ALLOW_CONFLICT_DRQ"
options EXCLUDE_GUS
options EXCLUDE_GUS_IODETECT
options EXCLUDE_PAS
options EXCLUDE_SB_EMULATION
options EXCLUDE_PRO_MIDI

device snd2 at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 vector sbintr
device snd6 at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 5 vector sbintr
device snd1 at isa? port 0x388
device snd7 at isa? port 0x300

dmesg output :

snd2 at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 on isa
snd2: <SoundBlaster Pro 4.13>
snd6 at 0x220 irq 7 drq 5 on isa
snd6: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
snd1 at 0x388 on isa
snd1: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>
snd7 at 0x300 on isa
snd7: <SoundBlaster MPU-401>

problem file :

damian@furry-> ls -l  /usr/tmp/hawaii_5.au
-rwxrwxr-x  1 damian  bin  462217 Jul  8 11:22 /usr/tmp/hawaii_5.au

--
Damian Furlong
93A Binn Eadair View