Date:      Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:38:35 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System running hot / CPU freq changes randomly

Nate Lawson wrote:
> Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>> Nate Lawson wrote:

>>> Are you running powerd?  If you have powerd_enable="YES" in
>>> /etc/rc.conf, it defaults to adaptive control.  I _thought_ I made
>>> the default "NO" until we get more testing.
>>

>> Yes, I am using it.  It was default to no, but I enabled it in hopes
>> that it would help battery life and reduce temperature.  I realized I
>> didn't really have the settings right, so after setting some lines in
>> rc.conf and restarting powerd, it seems to have stopped flopping
>> around. I'm willing to help debug/test..

>>> I had to disable C2 and higher by default due to some C3 problems
>>> some users were having.  Hopefully we'll sort this out at some point
>>> and re-enable it by default.
>>>
>>> You can get the old values back through /etc/rc.conf.  Add:
>>>
>>> performance_cx_lowest="LOW"
>>> economy_cx_lowest="LOW"
>>>
>>> (Or explicitly use "C3" if C4 doesn't work right for you).
>>

>> These are the settings I have right now:
>> powerd_enable="YES"
>> powerd_flags="-a max -b adaptive"
>> performance_cx_lowest="HIGH"            # Online CPU idle state
>> performance_cpu_freq="1600"             # Online CPU frequency
>> economy_cx_lowest="LOW"                # Offline CPU idle state
>> economy_cpu_freq="NONE"                 # Offline CPU frequency
>

> You should not use *_cpu_freq if you're running powerd since that will
> handle the transitions for you.  The cx_lowest stuff is fine although it
> probably wouldn't hurt you to use C2 or C3 while on AC power.  It will
> save heat and I don't think affects performance much.
>
> I'm not sure why your frequency is changing while on AC power.  You set
> "-a max".  powerd should only do adaptive stuff while on battery,
> according to your settings above.

Ok - here's what I have setup now:

powerd_enable="YES"
powerd_flags="-a max -b adaptive"
performance_cx_lowest="C3"            # Online CPU idle state
economy_cx_lowest="C3"                # Offline CPU idle state

I've now switched to a D610 latitude (new), and I noticed this on bootup:

ACPI timer: 1/2 1/1 1/1 1/1 1/2 1/1 1/1 1/2 1/1 1/1 -> 10
Timecounter "ACPI-fast" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
acpi_timer0: <24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0x1008-0x100b on acpi0
cpu0: <ACPI CPU (4 Cx states)> on acpi0
acpi_throttle0: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu0
acpi_throttle0: P_CNT from P_BLK 0x10e0
CPU claims to support Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
Please update driver or contact the maintainer.

Not sure what that means - full dmesg output and other stuff here:

http://www.googlebit.com/freebsd/

Eric

I have seen the future and it is just like the present, only longer.