Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 10:40:07 EDT
From:      "Stephen Palmer" <uscgsynd@ibmmail.com>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Hitachi 4x ATAPI CDROM

I know that ATAPI support is considered "Alpha" quality, but was wondering
if someone could point me in the right directions on this.  My work machine
(Dell Optiplex, Pentium-90) has a Sony ATAPI that installed 2.1.0-Release
off of CD with no (Okay "few") problems.  I take this same CD and Boot
Floppy to my home system, configured simialar (I tried the CDROM as slave on
The Primary IDE, and maser on the Secondary IDE) At boot time, the system
acts like it sees my CD Drive (wcd0: Hitachi....  sorry I don't have a log
with me...)  but when I try to install off of CD Media it reports "no
supported CDROM Drives installed" or something very like that.  Is this a
problem with Hitachi's not being quite ATAPI?  I Like the Drive for $$
reasons.  Very low-cost.  My other options for CD drives are Mitsumi or
Toshiba.  I remebered reading that Mitsumi's had problems so I avoided that.
 Any suggestions?

Stephen L. Palmer
uscgsynd@ibmmail.com  - Columbia Gulf, Houston TX
elrond@helix.xiii.com - Home