Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:11:04 -0400
From:      "Gene Bomgardner" <glb@brightstar.ath.cx>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cookbook for Sendmail Config?

On 3 Aug 2001, at 5:49, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> Keeping in mind that I have *never* worked with Sendmail before, are
> there any links you would recommend for instructing me how to setup
> Sendmail? There are two things I want to accomplish.
>
> In phase one, I want to relay all mail from my local network and allow
> relay from the Internet if the proper username and password is
> presented.

Relay from the internet? Do you mean receiving from the Net only
mail destined for the local network? If so, then password protection
would prevent receipt of mail from all but those Internet sites that
know the password. That's a bad thing. If you mean relay from the
Internet _TO_ the Internet, hope no one gets hold of the password.
Could result in a real spammer feeding frenzy.

> Is this possible?  Is this very difficult?

I'm not sure about "possible" but my experience with Sendmail is
that just about everything is difficult until you get the hang setting
up the conf file. Even then ....

> Once phase one is working, I want to install POP3 software so that
> clients can pick up their mail.  I'm guessing that I have to tell
> Sendmail to forward received mail to the POP3 and then get the POP3
> configured to receive the mail and make it available for clients?

I found that by using the Sendmail package supplied with
FreeBSD, the sendmail.cf file was already sufficient to my needs.
All I really needed to do was add a line so it would accept mail for
a second domain. I then added a pop3 package (Qpopper was
really easy to set up) and Voila, success.

If you really want to get into Sendmail, I found O'Reilly's "Sendmail"
book to be excellent.

> Thank you for your assistance.  "Cookbook" or "newbie" links would be
> most appreciated.

There is the www.sendmail.org site. They have some excellent
resources there for newbies and experienced alike.

Best of luck...
Gene