Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2000 17:57:01 -0400
From:      media@ct1.nai.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Murray Baker <Murray_Baker@bigpond.com>
Subject:   RE: 4.1.1-RELEASE XF86336 distribution

At 7:41 PM -0700 10/06/00, John Baldwin wrote:
>On 07-Oct-00 Murray Baker wrote:
>>
>> Between 4.0-RELEASE and 4.1-RELEASE the XF86336 distribution
>> seems to have lost three files 'preinst.sh postinst.sh extract'.

No wonder I can't find them!!  They are listed as being required in the
RELNOTES on the same CD-ROM from which they seem to be missing.  That has
to be a mistake.

>They aren't needed by sysinstall.

I can't run the 4.1 sysinstall with 3.4 because of the bad block issue.

>> XF86336 RELNOTES still states that these are required.
>
>If you install X manually, yes, and in that case you can just
>grab the ones from XFree86's web site, however if you install
>from sysinstall it will all work ok.
>
>> Are they required ? Will 4.1.1-RELEASE XF86336 install from the
>> files provided (ftp.freebsd.org and mirrors) ?

What I wonder is if extract and preinst.sh and postinst.sh are necessary.
The RELNOTES on the CD-ROM says they are, yet the _FreeBSD Handbook_ and
_The Complete FreeBSD_ don't seem to make any mention of them.  Their
unpacking instructions for the Bourne shell read:

# mkdir -p /usr/X11R6
# cd /usr/X11R6
# for i in bin fnts lib cfg; do
#    tar xzf X$i.tgz
# done

However, the RELNOTES say "It is strongly recommended that you use the
provided extract utility to unpack the XFree86 distribution.  If you choose
to ignore this and use something else, we don't want to hear from you if
you run into problems."

My question is, if this is true, how does sysinstall unpack them if extract
isn't on the disk??