Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 01:25:24 -0400
From:      Tony Chen <adchen@skatefaq.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de driver spontaneously switching ports?

At 7:55 PM -0400 on 10/13/98, Gary Schrock wrote:
> Has anyone ever had problems with one of the Dec 21041 ethernet cards
> spontaneously deciding that it wants to change which port is being used to
> connect to the net with?  (In our case from the twisted pair port to the
> BNC port.)  The card is as follows:
> Oct 13 13:31:19 anguish /kernel: de0 <Digital 21041 Ethernet> rev 17 int a
> irq 10 on pci0:11:0
> Oct 13 13:31:19 anguish /kernel: de0: SMC 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 1.1
> The machine had been running for about a month and a half without trouble,
> then spontaneously decided to output the message Oct 12 09:51:13 anguish
> /kernel: de0: enabling BNC port
>
> There's some possibility that someone might have pulled the cable, would
> that cause that behaviour (unfortunately I don't know if that's what
> happened, we don't have anyone on-site at the location the machine is, and
> have to rely on the people there when things like this come up).

We use SMC EtherPower (8432T) cards, and have seen similar messages: "de0:
enabling AUI port" when the card has only a RJ45(!)  We have had problems
with the cards going to "sleep" spontaneously as well.  We used to have to
ifconfig down and ifconfig up to get them to wake back up.  Although when
we upgraded to 2.2.7, this fix no longer worked.

I've been asking around and it may have to do with the auto-sensing not
working quite right.  You can explicity state the port to use (and thereby
disabling media auto-selection), via ifconfig:

  ifconfig de0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex

When you "ifconfig de0" you should see this:

      media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP) status: active

change to:

      media: 10baseT/UTP status: active

Also, I received a suggestion to "write a keepalive script for de0, which
seems to go to sleep more often than others".

-Tony Chen
 adchen@skatefaq.com