Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 1995 09:52:22 +0200
From:      "Christophe Fiorio, LIRMM 67-41-85-78" <fiorio@lirmm.fr>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SNAP-041295 -> 2.05

Hi,

A friend of mine (hello Philippe), says that to upgrade my system I
must format all my FreeBSD disk and install all from the
beginning. This in order to use the new slice scheme.

I can't believe that! Is there no way to upgrade my system without
losing all my data? Is this new slice scheme necessary?

Is there a dirty trick to avoid formating the disk? (e.g. doing only
a sort of disklabel.). It seems that the bounds of the partitions are
counted from the beginning of the slice and no more from the beginning
of the disk.

Some precisions: I have a 486 DX/2 66 with PCI bus and FreeBSD is
installed on my second hard disk (a 520 Mb).

Christophe.

          \\|//
         @ o o @
|                        | Bill Gates should limit his salary to the |
| Christophe Fiorio      | number of bytes addressable by the latest |
|                        | version of MS-DOS, and be taxed based on  |
| email: fiorio@lirmm.fr | the number of bytes of RAM needed by the  |
|                        | latest version of MS-Windows.             |
                                             (o ^)
                                             //|\\