Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:42:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Doug Reynolds <mav@wastegate.net>
Cc:        Jesse Rock <jesse@accretive-networks.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: emergency password problem

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Doug Reynolds wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:22:16 -0700 (PDT), Annelise Anderson wrote:
>
> >But....you could pop another drive in there, put even a minimal
> >FreeBSD installation on it, and then mount the partitions on
> >the existing drives, and fix /etc/master.passwd.  The problem is
> >getting a password database; one way to do it would be to edit it,
> >(the version on the old installation), deleting the root password entry;
> >(but not the root account); copy it to the new /etc (after having backed
> >up the master.passwd on the new installation), and use vipw on the new
> >installation to get the password database rebuilt (with all the same
> >users but no password for root), copy all the relevant files over the
> >ones on the old installation....and reboot the old installation.
> >
> >Think about those steps--I haven't actualy done this.
>
> I _think_ that could be possible by using the fixit floppy too couldn't
> it?

Yes, once you get the hard drive partition mounted.  I think you
would do it using vipw -d /path/to/hardrive/etc

From man vipw:

When run without options, vipw will work with the password files in /etc.
     The -d option may be used to specify an alternative directory to work
     with.

pwd_mkdb has the same option (surprise!)

I find the fixit floppy/cd harder to work with than another installation
of FreeBSD.  A picobsd floppy could also be used, although you might in
that case have to call vipw from the hard drive, wherever it's located
after you mount the file systems.

What I learned from this is that a machine that isn't physically
secure isn't secure even if you require a password at the console. Not
that that's really news, though.

	Annelise
--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC