Date:      Sun, 08 Aug 1999 22:26:55 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Steven Honson <shonson@planetquake.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Help

While you can get sendmail to do exactly what you are asking, it
is not the easiest way to handle things.  I'd recommend setting up
one of the two machines as the primary MX for all your domains (say the
staff machine.)  This machine handles all mail and dispaches what
it must to the other machine.  Staff has the sendmail.cw file
populated with all the domains that are considered "local":

    $ cat /etc/sendmail.cw
    staff.ahighschool.edu
    students.ahighschool.edu
    ahighschool.edu
    $

Now that machine will accept all mail for each of these listed domains as
local.

Then make sure that staff:/etc/aliases file  contains a list of all valid
addresses for all domains.  For the addresses that are really served on staff
the alias looks like:

    staffperson: \staffperson

this means that sendmail will not do any further alias translations and
will deliver the mail on staff (if the account really exists.)
For student accounts the alias looks like:

    joestudent: joestudent@students.ahighschool.edu

Now the mail is forwarded to students.ahighschool.edu for final delivery.
If the account does not exist on students then the mail will be bounced
from there.

This is not really the scenario that you describe but it is nearly
equivalent.  The administrative burden is managing the student aliases on
the staff machine.

chris

Look at http://www.sendmail.org for more usefull hints about configuring
sendmail for these kinds of behaviors.

Steven Honson writes:
    Basicly my problem is that we have 2 servers where I work for email, one
    called staff.ahighschool.edu and one called students.ahighschool.edu, and i
    want to add a MX entry for ahighschool.edu and set it up so that it will
    first get forwarded to the staff mail server, but if it cant find the user
    then it trys sending it to the students mail server, and if it cant find
    the user then it sends a error message back to the originating user.
    Im running sendmail 8.9 on a freebsd 3.2 machines.
    Thanks,
    Steven Honson
__
Chris Fedde	  <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>