Date:      Sat, 31 Oct 1998 21:11:27 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Mike Jenkins <mjenkins@carp.gbr.epa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: verifying packages

--==_Exmh_-925562890P

If memory serves me right, Mike Jenkins wrote:
> I was taking a walk on the Linux side and saw some nifty features
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Take a walk on the wild side"?  :-)

> in the package manipulation utility (rpm in this case).  One thing
> is the ability to verify a package (rpm -V package).  Another is
> the ability to use the simple package name without version numbers
> ("rpm -q -i package" instead of "rpm -q -i package-1.2.3b").
>
> Any chance the FreeBSD package utilities could inherit these?

I know next to nothing about rpm, but I've done a little bit of work on some
FreeBSD ports.  A couple of thoughts:

1.  To the extent that a program could verify the md5 checksums of installed
files, one can "verify" a package.  In fact, pkg_delete(1) does exactly this
before blowing files away, suggesting there may be a quick cut 'n' paste
solution to this problem.

2.  It's possible to have multiple installed versions of packages co-existing.
 Most times, this is a Bad Thing (TM), but for some packages, such as Tcl/Tk,
it's not unusual to have multiple versions on the same system.  Presumably one
needs to disambiguate the two in this case.  I ran into this problem when
trying to figure out which of two packages is "newer", using only the names of
the two.

> How about a single pkg command with switches for info, add, etc.?

Hmmm.  "pkg -info" vs. "pkg_info" gains you...what?

Cheers,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-925562890P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNjvtfqjOOi0j7CY9AQHVTwQAh/qlsvDqsFYZQOC5MyuZfrR1sl6MbdM6
hzJzUm6jt9laPiJ+Cm7klQ2A7poXN7u6yWwRR6CxaIqjJIV+ZuszdxInLzCWBQat
how5KwGsRWd2O4aCZv24M98sxQmM9a5T1aWa4UkXJDQy3OHviMbWmEAc4yZIa1eF
wtJpJ3wqJ0E=
=m48X
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-925562890P--