Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:53:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD exploit?

:Hi,
:
:Has anyone ever read this article:
:
:http://www.securityfocus.com/level2/bottom.html?go=vulnerabilities&id=526
:
:all version of freebsd has this problem!!!
:
:Paulo.

    Yes, but it isn't an exploit, it's a denial of service attack
    ( and there is a difference ).

    Yes, it appears to be a real bug.  I can set my datasize limit
    to 16m and then mmap() a 64m file MAP_PRIVATE and touch all the
    pages without getting a fault.

    We could conceivably fix it by adding a new resource limit to
    the system for privately mmap'd space.  But I think, ultimately,
    the only way to fix it would be to add a per-user VM quota
    resource that accounts for it properly.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>