Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 16:01:27 -0600
From:      "Jeremy Falcon" <jeremy@intersurf.com>
To:        "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OSes

Well, I can't speak for everyone here, but I feel like it's better for
problems and answers to remain public, that way it could possibly help more
than one person.  In that respect, I'll do what I can to answer your
question, but not in private conversation.

In short, FreeBSD and the BeOS are on two different leauges.  They were
intened to serve different purposes and founded on different ideas.

FreeBSD wants to be BSD-like, stable, secure, free, etc. and for what it's
intended I believe you can't find a better OS on the market.  I'm not a UNIX
guru yet, but the more I use it the more I love it (more than Linux).  I'm
sure others here feel the same way too.  :o)

The BeOS is also a great OS, but it's intentions are a lot different than
FreeBSD's.  From the ground up, Be Inc. wanted to build an OS targeting
multimedia.  While it doesn't support the majority of hardware, for what it
does support it does well.

But, several things need to happen before it can compare to Windows...

Needs support for more hardware.
Be needs to make more people aware of it.
Needs more applications for it.

Learning the BeOS is not harder than learning Windows for the first time, so
that's not an issue.  But for the average Joe, buying new hardware (b/c his
OEM went cheap and used soft hardware, etc.) is out of the question just to
get an OS to work properly.

Of course, hardware manufacturers usually design hardware with Windows in
mind, but if Be Inc. gets a better market share (catch 22), I'm sure they'll
have BeOS in mind too.

On a side note, what I really like about the BeOS is that it uses bash for
it's console instead of a DOS-like get up.  :o)  If you want a taste of BeOS
without buying then get the free/light version first.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy L. Falcon

P.S. Just so y'all know, the reason I replied to a BeOS question on here was
b/c it was in comparision to FreeBSD.  I don't intend to get off topic.  ;o)

> Would you please get in touch with me privately please, if any of you
> have a "working" knowledge of BeOS. I visited their site and now have
> a sense of BeOS's "look & feel", but have no idea as to whether ot not
> it's an OS in the same league as FBSD et al, or win9x etc. Tia....
>
> -duke
>

> >> I am interested in installing several operating systems on my personal
> >> computer.  I just purchased a 27 GB hard drive and I plan to partition
it to
> >> hold some or all of the following:  Windows 98 and 2000, Gentus and
RedHat