Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 22:38:42 -0400
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        eps+fbsdques@mooseriver.com (Eric P. Scott)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: serial port logins and console problems

On Saturday, May 18, 2002, at 04:44 , Eric P. Scott wrote:

> Ignore what the Handbook says.  It's misleading, at best.
>
> The "correct" way to enable this **on a fresh installation of
> FreeBSD** is to install either the "comconsole" package or its
> port, e.g.:
>
> cd /usr/ports/sysutils/comconsole
> make install

Ok, I did this and rebooted both machines

> You'll note this enables getty on console, *not* ttyd0.

Yes, it does enable the getty on console on both  machines.

> The settings in the GENERIC kernel configuration are correct
> for most people; you shouldn't need to change them.

I still have the same problems.

Neither machine has a keyboard attached.  Both have /boot.config
with     -P   .  Both are  cross-wired with a null modem cable from
sio1 <-> sio0  so that I should be able to monitor each machine from the
others sio1 (/dev/cuaa1)

Machine A does not see any console messages from B.  You can log into
the console of B however.  But it is a blind login.  You do NOT get any
feedback.  You do not get any sort shell feedback, nor machine login
prompts, or anything.  But since I know that the first thing is to ask
for a username and password, I type those and do get a login.  From an
SSH sesson on B, after the blind login from A to B, in the "who"
command, I see:

chad             console May 18 20:33

I can also type logout and that process disappears.

The other machine has the opposite problem.

Machine B does see the console messsages from A. I can reboot A, and on
B, using % cat /dev/cuaa1 > file; tail -f file  or from kermit or
minicom watching the serial port output, I see the boot messages, I see
the login banner (and the tty is identified as "console" in the login
banner).  However, I cannot log in.  No matter what I type in minicom or
kermit, nothing happens, not even a blind login or anything.

Any other hints or suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Chad