Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 02:39:01 -0800
From:      "Brian Gallucci" <brian@briang.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ICMP

Which one of these would I use if I whanted to stop poeple from doing a port
scan on my boxes,
but at the same time not stopping me from be able to ping out....
  This is the rule I'm using " ipfw add 3400 deny log icmp from any to
24.1.88.78 icmptype ? "

I know it's one of these... Hmmmm

ip           0       IP              # internet protocol, pseudo protocol
number
icmp      1       ICMP            # internet control message protocol
igmp      2       IGMP            # Internet Group Management
ggp        3       GGP             # gateway-gateway protocol
ipencap 4       IP-ENCAP        # IP encapsulated in IP (officially ``IP'')
st            5       ST              # ST datagram mode
tcp          6       TCP             # transmission control protocol
egp        8       EGP             # exterior gateway protocol
pup       12      PUP             # PARC universal packet protocol
udp       17      UDP             # user datagram protocol
hmp       20      HMP             # host monitoring protocol
xns-idp  22      XNS-IDP         # Xerox NS IDP
rdp         27      RDP             # "reliable datagram" protocol
iso-tp4   29      ISO-TP4         # ISO Transport Protocol class 4
xtp          36      XTP             # Xpress Tranfer Protocol
idpr-cmtp     39      IDPR-CMTP       # IDPR Control Message Transport
ipv6        41      IPV6            # ipv6
ipv6-route      43      IPV6-ROUTE      # routing header for ipv6
ipv6-frag       44      IPV6-FRAG       # fragment header for ipv6
rsvp       46      RSVP            # Resource ReSerVation Protocol
gre        47      GRE             # Generic Routing Encapsulation (RFC
1702)
esp       50      ESP             # encapsulating security payload
ah         51      AH              # authentication header
skip      57      SKIP            # SKIP
ipv6-icmp       58      IPV6-ICMP       # ICMP for IPv6
ipv6-nonxt      59      IPV6-NONXT      # no next header for ipv6
ipv6-opts       60      IPV6-OPTS       # destination options for ipv6
vmtp      81      VMTP            # Versatile Message Transport
ospf      89      OSPFIGP         # Open Shortest Path First IGP
ipip       94      IPIP            # Yet Another IP encapsulation
encap   98      ENCAP           # Yet Another IP encapsulation
divert   254     DIVERT          # Divert pseudo-protocol

Thanks
-Brian