Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:49:39 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@eos.ocn.ne.jp>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: suggestion for adding a l10n-capable doc-format navi

--==_Exmh_1116516253P

If memory serves me right, Hiroki Sato wrote:

> bmah> Random thought:  I wonder if it'd have been better to leaving it defaul
> bmah> to "WITH_DOCFORMAT_NAVI_LINK?=NO" and then explicitly setting
> bmah> "WITH_DOCFORMAT_NAVI_LINK=YES" in the Web site build, the release build
> bmah> doc.1 target, etc.  The case I am thinking of is that if someone builds
> bmah> an html version only (the default), they'll get a dangling link to a
> bmah> non-existant (or stale) html-split version.
>
>  Yes, you have got a point.  I made another patch that makes the link
>  be generated only when ${FORMATS} includes both of "html" and "html-split,"
>  and "WITH_DOCFORMAT_NAVI_LINK=YES."

OK.  I *think* this is better.  This will make it more conservative
about adding the navi-link, but it will give it to us whenever we know
that we have both versions available.  (Plus we can still override it
if for some reason we need to do this.)

>  In the current doc.docbook.mk
>  WITH_FOO=NO does not work properly, but the patch fixes it, too.

Hmmm...it looks to me like with the other (already existing) variables,
we don't care what their value is.  The convention here seems to be
that if WITH_FOO is defined, we want FOO regardless of what the value
was.  Does anyone know if anything depends on the old behavior?

Thanks!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1116516253P

--==_Exmh_1116516253P--