Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:16:54 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, Patrick Soltani <psoltani@ultradns.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: icmp_error: bad length

In message <20021211170227.A79864@xorpc.icir.org>, Luigi Rizzo writes:
>the diagnosis looks reasonable, though i do not remember changing
>anything related to this between 4.6 and 4.7 so i wonder why the
>error did not appear in earlier versions of the code.

Yes strange - actually, it looks like the "THERE IS NO FUNCTIONAL
OR EXTERNAL API CHANGE IN THIS COMMIT" commit may be to blame :-)
Some fragments below.

Ian

bridge.c 1.16.2.2:
+#ifdef PFIL_HOOKS
-        * before calling the firewall, swap fields the same as IP does.
-        * here we assume the pkt is an IP one and the header is contiguous
-       ip = mtod(m0, struct ip *);
-       NTOHS(ip->ip_len);
-       NTOHS(ip->ip_off);

ip_fw.c 1.131.2.34:
-       if (0 && BRIDGED) { /* not yet... */
-           offset = (ntohs(ip->ip_off) & IP_OFFMASK);
+       if (BRIDGED) { /* bridged packets are as on the wire */
+           ip_off = ntohs(ip->ip_off);
            ip_len = ntohs(ip->ip_len);
 	} else {