Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 02:34:48 +0100
From:      Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netatalk broken in current? Lock order reversal?

* John Baldwin (jhb@FreeBSD.org) wrote:
> > /var: lost blocks 62 files 8
>
> No, that's softupdates stuff.  I think releasing filedesc is ok this case,
> but usually I would recode it to move malloc's and free's around to avoid
> having to drop and reacquire locks.

Ah right... Good to know...

> > exclusive (sleep mutex) Giant (0xc0462c00) locked @
> > /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/trap.c:1102
> > panic: system call pwrite returning with mutex(s) held
>
> Hmm, erm, go kick Alfred really hard. :)  This function locks Giant and then
> doesn't ever unlock it.  This looks to be breakage from his fget() changes
> perhaps.

Ah... Alfred? You will be let off easy this one time.  Next time I'll send the
Beastie after you. Right after you finish cramping that box of CAT5 cable
over there in 30 cm long pieces, oh and you have to repeat "I will never leave
my locks on Giant unfreed" too every time you finish one.

Right. got that? Good.

;-)

Oh, on another note, is someone working at that netatalk breakage? Who
do I have to discipline for that? :-)

Cheers,
Emiel
--