Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2011 18:52:38 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to switch from Linux to BSD

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 01:32:23 -0400
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to switch from Linux to BSD for my everyday computing (email, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.), but I couldn't get things to work properly.
> I've been so spoiled by the quickness and user-friendliness of antiX/Swift Linux and Puppy Linux for so long.  I have a backlog of stuff to do, so I'm sticking to Linux for now as my main OS.
> However, I might try BSD in VirtualBox and on my laptop.

IMO; get a second machine (laptop or workstation / desktop) and install
FreeBSD on that. After you get it working the way you want, you can
dump your Linux machine.

> Are there any good tutorials for using BSD on the desktop?  I'm having much more difficulty finding good information on BSD than was the case for Linux.
> In retrospect, this shouldn't be a surprise given that Linux is relatively mainstream while BSD is very obscure.

I really don't understand this question.
If you really are asking about *using* BSD on the desktop, there are
very few, if any, differences compared to Linux. The basic GUI is the
same (Xorg), the DE's are the same (the big ones being KDE, Gnome and
Xfce), and almost all user programs are the same. What is the
difference your perceive?

Myself, I have kept one laptop running Linux (Xubuntu), because of two
things:
a) it is very hard (in Norway at least) to find and buy a
    laptop that will work almost 100% with FreeBSD, unless I want to
    double (or more) the price I can get a good laptop for. Somehow,
    Linux manages to adjust to most of the "fails to meet
   specifications" problems of laptop vendors today.
b) Often, I need (or want) to check out a new service or program that
     only runs on Linux (for the time being).

My main workstation is a desktop, running FreeBSD.
All my test machines (most of them have desktops installed) run
FreeBSD. Granted, many of them are triple-boot and run Linux and other
BSDs as well, for testing purposes.
My servers run FreeBSD.

HTH
--