Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:27:53 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD TCP/IP relation to Mac OS/X?

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 11:07:48AM -0800, George V. Neville-Neil thus spoke:

> 	Just checking out some developer info on OS/X and I came upon this
> interesting quote:

> For kernel developers, Darwin provides the Network Kernel
> Extension (NKE) facility. This allows developers to create
> networking modules and even entire protocol stacks that can be
> dynamically loaded and unloaded. NKEs also make it possible to
> configure protocol stacks automatically and easily monitor and
> modify network traffic. At the data-link and network layers, they
> can also receive notifications of asynchronous events from device
> drivers.

>  Can anyone comment on the progeny of the TCP/IP stack in Mac
> OS/X? Did they do a rewrite or just tweaks? Granted this may
> all be market speak but if it's true it would indicate some
> significant changes.

I can't say one way or the other but in the past couple of weeks
someone from Apple posted some fixes to the FreeBSD specifically in
the TCP/IP area so I'm assuming it's the BSD stack.  Otherwise the
fixes would be going the other way.