Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:07:52 -0500
From:      ravi pina <ravi@cow.org>
To:        "Ronald R. Perez" <ronaldp76@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>, Mark Pude <markpude@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var/ is full

eek.  thats small.

i'm not aware of any easy way of doing it while the
os is running.  you'd probably have a easier time
fetching a copy of PartitionMagic[1] and resizing it
that way.  second to that, you could reinstall the
os and partition more to your needs.  last, and not
really solving the problem, you could create lots
of symlinks for high volume directories. for instance,
move /var/log to /usr/var/log, and /var/mail to
/usr/var/mail.

note that there are potential issues with doing the
former if you boot into single user mode.

also, a general best practice, you should be using
newsyslog(8) on all your log files.

hope this helps.

-r

[1] i have used and love partition magic. it allowed
    me to resize a 6 G partition on my laptop with
    windows on it into 2 slices so i could install
    freebsd. http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
    the disadvantage is its pretty expensive for a
    program that you may use once in a blue moon.

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 07:58:02AM -0800, Ronald R. Perez said at one point in time:
> The same thing is happening to my machine.  How do we go about in resizing
> the /var partition? The size of my /var partition is 20MB.
>
> thanks,
> ronald

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."
                -- Albert Einstein