Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 2017 05:29:01 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NFSROOT and lagg(4)

On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 01:44:21PM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:

> "what I want" is to pxe/netboot and then switch over to using a lagg(4)
> interface that includes the interface used in the pxe/netboot boot up.
> I suspect, I have to switch to MDROOT to do this, but I thought I'd ask
> if anyone is doing this type of configuration in their labs?
>
> What seems to happen is that I lose the nfsroot when I reconfigure the
> lagg, and I no longer have access to reconfigure.

Why would you lose something if you use same IP address at both stages?
NFS over UDP or TCP binds sockets to IP, not network interfaces.

You just need to make sure you have statically linked shell
and ifconfig utility handy in tmpfs or md device before you try to enable LACP.
I do not think reroot is needed there.

First you create tmpfs and mount to /mnt, then copy /rescue
and script doing LACP configuration using /mnt/rescue/ifconfig there,
then run it using "/mnt/rescue/sh /mnt/run_my_lacp"

As soon as your script brings LACP up and moves IP address there,
you would be fine.

Eugene Grosbein