Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:52:17 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        stox@enteract.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT4 server 2.5 times faster than Linux

"Kenneth P. Stox" wrote:

> > > Well, I'm not so sure about that. What technology has Sun, IBM, or Intel
> > > agreed to to donate to Linux right now ? I know Sun has made Java open,
> > > but have they donated any technology directly to the O/S ?
> >
> > Sun gave them a StarFire to play with.  Is that enough?  How many multi-
> > million dollar machines do they need?  ;^)
> >
> > IBM has sent several dozen workstations and a couple of large SMP
> > servers to their Linux PPC partner, somewhere in Florida.  Motorola
> > has 3 engineers doing full-time support for Linux on their CPU boards
> > over in Computer Division.
> >
> > SGI is already dead, they just haven't bothered to fall over yet.
> > Their executive staff have been driving them into the ground for
> > years, so it's not surprising.
>
> When I said donating technology, I meant things like XFS ( although SGI
> has not stated that this is one of the technologies ). Is IBM going to
> donate JFS and the volume management software ?

I doubt it, but Sun has apparently given the Linux developers access
to Solaris code for StarFire booting.  They want Linux to be able to
run on a partition on the StarFire, which can split sets of CPUs into
a processor partition and run multiple operating systems on the same
system.  This would allow a StarFire to run both Solaris and Linux at
the same time.