Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:46:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Sexton <robert@kudra.com>
To:        mpeer@ponyexpress.gwc.cccd.edu (Michael Peer)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xntpd

> I have played around with how it works, and not had a chance to dive into
> protocol more, so sometimes it just seems magic, when it works ;)
>
> #
> #	List the sources for our time
> #
> server		xxx.xxx.x.x	# stratum x: clock you synch from
> server		xxx.xxx.x.x	# stratum x: 2nd clock you synch from
> server		127.127.1.3	# stratum 3: our own local internal clock

Setting your internal clock to stratum 3 is a bad idea.  It needs to be
high enough (8+) That it will never be synced to in preference to
accurate time.  Sometimes a stratum 2 server might dip down to 3 or
concievably 4 if it lost touch with its upstream peer.  Even then
stratum 4 or 5 time is way better than the local oscillator.  There is
also the possibility that you might be confused with authentic stratum
3 time by a peer.

--
Robert Sexton - robert@kudra.com, Cincinnati OH, USA
Cthulu 96 - Why vote for the _Lesser_ of two evils?