Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:11:19 -0600
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
To:        Ivajlo Nikolov <ivailon@mobikom.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Static ARP table

Ivajlo Nikolov wrote:
>     Excuse me for this question - may be it's not for stable.
>
>     I want my arp table to be static and entries pushed with "arp  -s
> hostname ether_addr" to be the only in the table. How can I set my arp
> table to be static. I read in a maling list that this can be made with
> sysctl net.link.ether.inet.static_arp. But there is no such oid in my
> box except this one:
>
> #>  sysctl -a | grep arp
> net.link.ether.inet.log_arp_wrong_iface: 1
>
>     Any ideas, help ???

If I understand you correctly, you want to disable the arp protocol so
that the only entries in your arp table are the static ones that you
add. If that is the case, you want to use the -arp option to ifconfig
to disable arp on the interface in qestion.

Keep in mind, that disabling the arp protocol means your box will not
respond to arp request, so all host on your network must be configured
in this manner (I hope it is a small network :-)

-stacy

--
If they keep lowering education standards and raising the price of
gasoline, there are going to be a lot of stupid people walking around.

Stacy Millions                                       stacy@millions.ca
Millions Consulting Limited