Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 11:37:57 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Zach Brown <zab@zabbo.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Allocate a page at interrupt time

Zach Brown wrote:
> > That Microsoft demonstrated that wiring down interrupts
> > to a particular CPU was a good idea, and kicked both Linux'
> > and FreeBSD's butt in the test at ZD Labs?
>
> No, Terry, this is not what was demonstrated by those tests.  Will this
> myth never die?  Do Mike and I have to write up a nice white paper? :)

That would be nice, actually.

> The environment was ridigly specified:  quad cpu box, four eepro 100mb
> interfaces, and a _heavy_ load of short lived connections fetching static
> cached content.  The test was clearly designed to stress concurrency in
> the network stack, with heavy low latency interrupt load.  Neither Linux
> nor FreeBSD could do this well at the time.  There was a service pack
> issed a few months before the test that 'threaded' NT's stack..
>
> It was not a mistake that the rules of the tests forbid doing the sane
> thing and running on a system with a single very fast cpu, lots of mem,
> and gigabit interface with an actual published interface for coalescing
> interrupts.  That would have performed better and been cheaper.

I have soft interrupt coelescing changes for most FreeBSD
drivers written by Bill Paul; the operation is trivial, and Bill
has structured his drivers well for doing that sort of thing.

I personally don't think the test was unfair; it seems to me
to be representative of most web traffic, which averages 8k a
page for most static content, according to published studies.

> Thats what pisses me off about the tests to this day.  The problem
> people are faced with is is "how do I serve this static content
> reliably and cheaply", not, "what OS should I serve my content
> with, now that I've bought this ridiculous machine?".

8-) 8-).

>  Its sad that people consistently insist on drawing insane
> conclusions from these benchmark events.

I think that concurrency in the TCP stack is something that
needs to be addressed; I'm glad they ran the benchmark, if
only for that.

Even if we both agree on the conclusions, agreeing isn't
going to change people's perceptions, but beating them on
their terms _will_, so it's a worthwhile pursuit.

I happen to agree that their test indicated some shortcomings
in the OS designs; regardless of whether we think they were
carefully chosen to specifically emphasize those shortcomings,
it doesn't change the fact that they are shortcomings.

There's no use crying over spilt milk: the question is what
can be done about it, besides trying to deny the validity of
the tests.

-- Terry