Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:54:31 -0600
From:      "Kenzo" <kenzo_chin@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: manufacturing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Moran" <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To: "Kenzo" <kenzo_chin@hotmail.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 9:23 AM

> Kenzo wrote:
> > My boss just presented me with an Idea.
> > He wants for me to build couple computers to use on the manufacturing
floor
> > using linux or Freebsd.
>
> I set up almost the exact same system for a client of mine.  They _do_ use
> Windows, however, and I'll explain why (although I can't say that I think
> it's the best possible solution).
> 1) The database that tracks all their engineering data was written in
>     Foxpro (although that's going to change) and Fox only runs on Windows.
> 2) Their engineering drawings are in AutoCAD.  AutoDesk provides the Volo
>     view software that give pan/zoom capabilities in a read-only package.
>     Again, only runs in Windows.  And Volo view is free (dollar-wise).
> 3) The hardware itself was trickled down when the admins got their "new"
>     computers that were trickled down from engineering.  IOW, the
computers
>     are about 5 years old, and already had Windows on them from when they
>     were new.
>
> > The computers will only need a web browser and some type of remote
control.

> How are you going to view CAD files in a web browser? (I'm curious, I may
be
> able to use the info)
> For remote control, ssh can be scripted to do commands.  If you're sure
about
> the security of your network, you could even use rsh.

I don't think that they will view CAD drawings.
Our webmaster will create an application that will make it easy for the
people posting the pictures to load them into the server.

> > The reason is this.
> > We're a manufacturing plant, with of course a manufacturing line.  On
the
> > lines, they have drawings and schematics, that the workers need to look
at.
> > well right now, what they do is print those out and post them at every
> > workstations.
> > what they would like is a computer at every workstation that can use a
> > browser to look at a webpage where the drawings and schematics will be
> > located.
>
> I can give you 2 pieces of information on this plan ...
> 1) It's well worth the time and effort, makes everything easier and more
>     likely to be up to date and correct.
> 2) It probably won't go as smoothly as you like.  We found that the
>     engineer's drawings weren't nearly as organized as they claimed, and
>     the results were mistakes and shop workers sitting around the
engineering
>     department while the engineers figured out where the drawings were.
The
>     result was also that engineering has gotten a lot more organized ;)
>
> > They don't feel like spending 500 bucks for a new windows machine, so we
> > figure we could just use our old computers for that.
>
> Makes sense.  Most shop environments are hell on computers, and they'll
have
> quite a short lifespan.
>
> > They will also need some type of remote control, they were thinking that
one
> > operator would be in charge of connecting to all the computers and
opening
> > the webpage.  I was thinking of using someting like VNC.
>
> Oops ... that may be a tall order for ssh or rsh.  You could also set up a
> single machine and make the rest X-terminals.
>
> > Now, what would be the best way to accomplish this?
> > He is more geared toward a linux box with redhat, but I would rather
setup a
> > computer with Freebsd that would do all the trick.
> > what x-window manager should I use?
>
> Were it me, I'd use something plain-jane like Enlightenment or twm or some
> other minimal WM, to keep them from playing around.
>
> > what should I use for web browser?
>
> Mozilla, Opera, or Galeon.
>
> > Will using VNC work?
>
> Probably, but test the performance first.
>
> > I was thinking of only connecting a monitor to those
> > workstations and have no keyboards and mouse.
>
> How do the users control things then?  You're going to have the shop
manager
> control everything completely?  Interesting twist.  We found it to be very
> efficient to let the operator control their own computer.  But then again,
> the software I wrote allows them to click on the job they're working on
and
> the drawing they need just pops up ... so the back-end logic is important
> to the success of that scheme.

Yes our plan is to only have one person per assembly line controlling the
computers so that they will all see the same thing.
I would like to think that if we give them all control over the computers,
they would only use it for work, but I find that people like to play around
and see what they can get away with.