Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 1995 13:03:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty Jr.)
Cc:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, dennis@etinc.com, julian@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD support inc.

>  > I would hate to convert my hobby into something like work :-(.  When
>  > I took the SVR4 support/development I thought that I would be like a
>  > kid in a candy store.  It ended up that the kid ate too much candy...
>
> Hmmm... Where is the candy ?
>
> BTW: We do need professional support for some of the things that people
> don't feel like doing.

But do you then accept the resulting code into the free tree with no
questions asked?

This is the other side of the coin for those considering offering
commercial support.  If the answer is "no", then they will have to
reintegrate their changes each release.  Me, Brian Litzinger, and
several others have already found that there are rather strenuous
requirements for integration.

I'm afraid that a commercial support organization, unless it was tied
to the core team and tree maintenance, would find it more convenient
to come out with "BSDI Mark II".

This is not something that I would encourage setting yourself up for.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.