Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:06:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, ben@scientia.demon.co.uk, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering port 25 (was Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to   talk to dialups)

> > No matter how you look at it, it's technically possible to (1) get
> > rid of the storage argument and (2) get rid of the modem transit
> > argument.
>
> Technically perhaps, but we have to implement this stuff in the time
> frame of yesterday.  Theory is great, we have a real job to get done
> today, not next year.

To paraphrase you, "An i.Mail license is pennies, when you are
talking about this kind of scale".

For the DDNS support, may I suggest Microsft IAS does dynamic DNS
update in response to RADIUS for use of dynamic IPs  for things
like ETRN.

You just have to know where to buy; I hate recommending a Microsoft
product for this, but since there's no integration on FreeBSD or
other OSs at this time, it's the only game in town.

> Animated gifs are not always dynamic content, they are .gif files that
> don't change most of the time.
>
> Banner ads are fine to cache, due to the fact that when you aggregate
> a large user base who all hit the same area of the internet you quickly
> build up a good collection of the banner ads that area of the internet
> is sending out.
>
> We probably have a 60 to 70% hit rate on any banner adds on Yahoo and
> a few other major sites.  Though the pointer in the referenceing page
> causes that page to be uncacheable, the pointed to (reference) is often
> quite cacheable and static, and often even an animated gif.

Well, I think until people go to cascading style sheets, you
are going to be not caching a lot of information, unless you
violate the HTTP spec. and cache in contravention of the cache
control headers.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---