Date:      Tue, 05 May 1998 17:11:31 +0900
From:      Takanori Watanabe <takawata@shidahara1.planet.kobe-u.ac.jp>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Infrared ? (a simple experiment for laptop owners...)

In message <199805040729.JAA05722@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, Mr. Luigi Rizzo said,
:
>> I think that it not desiable to introduce incompatible protocol.....
>
>maybe, but it is also better than nothing... as Dirk commented
>previously, even stuff supposed to be IrDA compliant has deviations
>from the standard...

Yes,IrDA specification is too complecated such Donald Becker said ,
"Why IrDA Should Be Laughed Out of Town?" at
<URL:http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/irda-flaws.html>; at least
several month ago.
(Now, he think it is inaccurate. See
<URL:http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/irda.html>)

By the way,I remind of bsd-nomads's article that the author could login from
IrDA port when he execute getty on callout device and use it as terminal
for emergency.
And I tryed as follows.
Case 1:
  One side:Toshiba Libretto FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE ....cu -l /dev/cuaa0
  Other side:Compaq Armada WINDOWS95 ...... Hyper Term
Result:
 Characters typed from Libretto is not echoed back and clearly transmitted
to Armada.
 Characters typed from Armada is bogusly echoed (somewhat garbled) and
clearly transmitted to Libretto.
Case 2:
  One side:Toshiba Libretto FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE added following line
	   in /etc/ttys  and hanged up "init"
     cuaa0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"  vt100 on secure
  Other side:Compaq Armada Windows95 Hyper Term
RESULT:
 I could login from Armada except for bogus echo as previously I mentioned
#I only tryed shell and some command such as 'ls' 'who' 'finger'.

In other words,it is useable as non protocol terminal,though I don't
 known the reason of bogus echo, because of hardware or software.
And I'll try to use UUCP over the port.
(But I have never tried 'cause I have never setup before and
there is no peer to talk with in UUCP over Ir port.)

Takanori Watanabe
Public Key</a>
Key fingerprint =  2C 51 E2 78 2C E1 C5 2D  0F F1 20 A3 11 3A 62 2A