Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 21:15:40 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        media@mail1.nai.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning "New" Hard Drive

On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 04:04:02PM -0500, media@mail1.nai.net wrote:

> I just reformatted my hard drive, using FORMAT.EXE.  I am going to
> re-install Windows 95 and FreeBSD.  Should I use FIPS to partition the
> drive after installing Windows, or is there a better way now, while the
> drive is still empty??

Yes, use the fdisk that comes with windows and manually specify how much
space you want windows to have, leaving the rest for FreeBSD.  If you
do this you'll not have to run fips at all.

> Also if I use FDISK to format the drive, it asked me if I want to use FAT32
> for larger hardrives (it's a 1G IDE), but then warns me I might have
> trouble with other operating systems.  Does FreeBSD have trouble with
> FAT32??  Wouldn't installing Windows 95 make the allocation table for the
> DOS partition FAT32 anyway??

Go ahead and use FAT32.  FreeBSD doesn't care what's on the windows
partition - but recently we've had the addition of fat32 support in the
msdos file system driver anyway, so you'll be able to mount the window
drive from within FreeBSD with no hastle.

> Also, if I use FIPS 2.0 to split my DOS partition in order to install
> FreeBSD, then re-install Windows 95, then the Boot Manager disappears and
> no longer lets me boot FreeBSD.  Is there a solution to this??

Don't use fips.

1. run dos fdisk and allocate a primary partition for windows of a suitable
   size, leaving the rest unallocated.
2. format this partition and install windows.  (The windows installer should
   see the already formatted drive and leave the partition table alone.)
3. Run up the FreeBSD installer and install FreeBSD onto the remaining
   space on the harddrive.  Allow FreeBSD to install it's boot manager
   which will allow you to select between windows (f1) and FreeBSD (f2)
   at boot time.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser	FreeBSD: Take the red pill and we'll show you just how
Technical Manager	deep the rabbit hole goes. (http://www.uk.freebsd.org)