Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2019 00:58:25 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Pressey, Marty G (CGI Federal)" <marty.pressey@cgifederal.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NIC Compatibility for 11.2

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 21:39:51 +0000, Pressey, Marty G (CGI Federal) wrote:
> I have a question regarding Ethernet NIC compatibility.
> According to your compatibility list at
> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.2R/hardware.html#ethernet,
> there are five (5) different Intel PRO/1000 MT NIC's listed.
> However, the 2 we are looking for are not on the list. Since
> the list is more than a year old, I'm wondering if there has
> been any additional testing to verify compatibility of these
> NIC's or if you can tell me if FreeBSD will support the use
> of these NIC's. I've included the two (2) we are using listed
> below.

You can always look at the current version of the manual for the
corresponding driver, in this case, the "em" driver:

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?em(4)

Or on a FreeBSD system: "man 4 em". ;-)

It seems that the list is identical.

> The reason for my question is that we are using a 3rd party
> software product that is using FreeBSD as its initial boot OS.
> Unfortunately, the vendor can't answer my question regarding
> compatibility.
>
> Intel PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
> Intel PRO/1000 MT Network Connection E1G60

Yes, those are not on the list. However, this doesn't automatically
imply that they don't work. If you have the option of "trial & error",
test the cards. If they are recognized, the "em" driver gets loaded,
and they should just work(TM). If not, return the cards. (Yes, I know,
this isn't always possible, but if it is possible for you, give it
a try.) I say this because several "PRO/1000 MT" models are listed,
so it could be possible that except the naming is a little bit
different, you're refering to one of them?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany