Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 11:19:37 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        dg@root.com, chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        parag@cgt.com, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

At 4:43 PM -0700 2000/5/1, David Greenman wrote:

>     There are other issues to consider when thinking about software
>RAID-5. The
>  most important of these is the (lack of) non-volatile write-back cache.

	I've got NVRAM for the cache, and can even have up to 4GB of it.
It doesn't help in my case, because the controllers and the
controller firmware just doesn't seem to be up to snuff.

	You need to have a system that is well-balanced and
well-implemented all over, and even if it's got lots of NVRAM, that
may not be enough to get you the performance you need.