Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:34:20 -0500
From:      Duane Winner <duanewinner@att.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   3Com Megahertz 3CXM756 PCMCIA modem on 5.3

Hello,

On 5.3-release, I am getting the following error when I insert a 3Com
Megahertz 56K Global GSM & Cellular Modem PC Card (model 3CXM756) in
either of the PCMCIA slots in my IBM Thinkpad T30:

pccard0: Allocation failed for cfe 32
sio4: <3Com Megahertz 3CXM756/3CCM756> at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 11
function 0 config 33 on pccard0
device_attach: sio4 attach returned 6

PPP won't dial out, and I get no "detached" message when I remove it.

These modems worked fine on 4.9 and 5.2.1.

I'm in the process of migrating to 5.3 from 5.2.1 and going through our
installation notes and testing everything for our IBM Thinkpad T30's,
and ran into this when testing our PPP notes.

I know that the pccard services work because I also use an Orinoco Gold
wireless PCMCIA nic, and that is working ok. I also have dual boot with
XP, and the modem works in XP, so I was able to confirm it still
physically ok.

We bought a bunch of these modems last year after reading
recommendations on the FreeBSD Laptop Compatibiliy list, and even though
they didn't cost much (I just bought a spare one recently for about
$20), I'd hate to think they are now useless in 5.3.

Is there a workaround; or does anybody else have one a 3CXM756 and had
the same problem?

If there is no fix, is there another 56k pcmcia modem that we can still
pick up somewhere (we would need at least seven) that I can be
guaranteed will work on a IBM Thinkpad T30 running FreeBSD-5.3?

This kind of stinks...it's getting so rare that we even need modems
anymore that I almost hate spending time on PPP and making sure it
works. But there are still those rare moments (like in the hotel with no
in-room broadband or up in the mountains on 'work' vacation), so I still
have to have something.

Thanks,
Duane Winner