Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 2015 12:36:41 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   troubles booting OpenBSD 5.7 or NetBSD 6.1.5 w/ grub2-bhyve

I'm trying to run either Net or Open for some testing, and I'm not
having luck.

After first figuring out that the README on github doesn't include that
you need to include the boot device to load the files from, I finally
got kopenbsd and knetbsd loading, but when I run boot, it just drops
me to a prompt w/o doing anything.

For NetBSD...
[dev.map]
(cd0) NetBSD-6.1.5-amd64.iso
(hd1) netbsd.img

grub-bhyve command:
# grub-bhyve -m dev.map nbsd615

                                       GNU GRUB  version 2.00

   Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible
   command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>
grub> knetbsd -h -r cd0a (cd0)/netbsd
grub> boot

#

For OpenBSD...
# cat dev.map
(cd0) install57.iso
(hd1) openbsd.img
# grub-bhyve -m dev.map obsd57

                                       GNU GRUB  version 2.00

   Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible
   command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub> kopenbsd -h com0 -r sd0a (cd0)/5.7/amd64/bsd
grub> boot

#

So, kernels are loading fine, just things crash when trying to run
them...  FreeBSD VM's run fine...

FreeBSD carbon.funkthat.com 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r282774: Mon May 11 11:41:38 PDT 2015     jmg@carbon.funkthat.com:/a/obj/a/home/jmg/FreeBSD.svn/HEAD/sys/GENERIC  amd64

# pkg info | grep bhyve
grub2-bhyve-0.30_1             Grub-emu loader for bhyve

CPU: AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics    (3393.90-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="AuthenticAMD"  Id=0x610f01  Family=0x15  Model=0x10  Stepping=1
  Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
  Features2=0x3e98320b<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,MON,SSSE3,FMA,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C>
  AMD Features=0x2e500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1ebbfff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS,XOP,SKINIT,WDT,LWP,FMA4,TCE,NodeId,TBM,Topology,PCXC,PNXC>
  Structured Extended Features=0x8<BMI1>
  SVM: NP,NRIP,VClean,AFlush,DAssist,NAsids=65536

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579