Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:41:56 +0100
From:      Thomas Pornin <pornin@bolet.org>
To:        Alan McKay <amckay@ottawa.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: most stable *N*X for alpha?

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 11:32:26AM -0500, Alan McKay wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is perhaps a Linux distro for alpha that is
> known for stability. My main use will be to use the alpha box as an
> xterm to display stuff running from my FreeBSD/intel server.

I have used an Alpha machine from 1998 to 2001 as a workstation, and I
tried several OS. The setup included NFS-mount of home directories (from
Sun Solaris servers) and NIS passwords. In my experience:

-- Linux is and has always been a bit flaky on Alpha hardware. Some code
(for instance NFS, until late versions of NFSv3 support in Linux) was
not 64-bit clean, and the filesystems were not reliable (there was some
problem of power supply in the building, which induced some power losses
and subsequent fsck -- Linux fsck is slow and unreliable). Redhat 5.2
and 6.2 releases proved to be mostly usable. 6.0 was not.

-- NetBSD/Alpha runs well but, at that time, lacked some hardware
support (floppy disk, for instance).

-- OpenBSD/Alpha, at that time, lacked shared libraries, which made it
a non-option. I hear shared libraries are now supported in the latest
OpenBSD/Alpha, so this may be an option worth investigating. I guess it
will be quite comparable with NetBSD.

-- FreeBSD, beginning with 4.2, proved to be the most stable and
effective OS on this station (I tried several 4.x, including a very
early 4.0-CURRENT snapshot). I still use FreeBSD on my own Alpha
machine at home (it is my firewall / mail server).

Note that XFree has some problems, that are common to both Linux
and FreeBSD: sometimes, launching XFree freezes the machine and a
cold-reboot is necessary. Once XFree has ran succesfully, it will not
crash the machine until the next cold reboot. Some tricky PCI stuff I
believe.

If you have the money, you might try Tru64 (formerly known as OSF/1). It
is a bit crude in some respects, and uses quite some RAM, but it is also
rock solid.

(All this is of course my own opinion, which is worth a lot in my
reckoning but maybe not in your own vision of reality.)

	--Thomas Pornin