Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 13:03:09 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Snapshots

	[For future reference, this is better suited for -questions.]

Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> After installing 4.1R, cvsup'ing, mergemaster, etc.  It's clear that there
> are a lot of changes imported, such as the scripts and some configuration
> files.   With that in mind, would it not be reasonable to provide a
> snapshot that keeps the 4.1 release up-to-date, as perhaps an alternative
> for those who would rather install against the most current tree and avoid
> an initial hassle with mergmaster?

	I'm not sure what you mean exactly. If you mean that you'd like to update
your /etc directory in one big chunk, that's more suited to a sysinstall
update. People who do the upgrades from source are willingly taking on the
pain of doing these things by hand. :)

	That said, I am working on a more automatic mode for mergemaster that will
check your installed file against the version in the cvs tree and if there
are no changes, install the new file without prompting. The danger in that
though is that it violates one of my goals for mergemaster in that I really
want you to see what's being changed. When too many things happen without
input from the sysadmin it leads to a lot of loaded guns being pointed at a
lot of feet. So, I'm working on ways to compensate for that effect as well.

Doug