Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:28:25 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        pav@FreeBSD.org, freebsd ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: New /bin/sh based script to manage ports

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> BTW, where the typical case of updating or installing a single port is
>> concerned, going from the top down is the right thing to do, since
>> dependencies will vary depending on OPTIONS chosen. However, for the
>> case of updating all the ports that are already installed, your
>> suggestion is a welcome optimization.
>
> After your explanation how portmaster operates I don't see the immediate
> benefit for the entire update procedure. You just change the order in which
> the ports are updated while still being consistent regarding the
> dependencies.

The main benefit is less nesting of portmaster processes, which I found in
testing occasionally caused problems with dialog's interaction with OPTIONS.

Other than that, you are probably right, "optimization" is not the right
word. However, I do not think that the added complexity is an overwhelming
burden, and I may end up reusing the code if I decide to try "no longer
necessary ports" detection. I can also see potential situations where doing
it in this order is a benefit to the user, particularly where a root, trunk,
or branch port update fails, an attempt to update something higher up the
tree can be delayed until it has a chance to succeed.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure it makes a LOT of difference one way or
the other, but I like the new code, so I'm going to keep it. :)

Doug