Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:58:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch)
Cc:        jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving Things [was Re: List of things to move from main tree]

> This whole thing -- splitting the OS up into a bunch of small
> independently-selectable packages -- sounds exactly like the way
> Debian works, except I expect FreeBSD would have more emphasis on
> using a revision control system for at least the core components
> rather than a ports-like collection of random patches.

An important point in configuration management, which SCO and
Solaris, et. al. have addressed, but which has so far been
missing from this discussion is the "binary upgrade" scenario;
I think one of the primary design goals has to be, if not to
support it, at least to not preclude it being supported later.

A nice-to-have would be the ability to "save" the state of a
machine, as in "as this machine is currently configured".  This
probably would exclude configuration data, and be limited to
just what was installed.  A centralized configuration store
would let you include configuration data, which would be
potentially impossible otherwise.  I expect that you would want
to not include IP address or machine name or other per machine
static data, but you might include "boots to a KDE login screen"
or "uses DHCP to get an IP address".  I can't see that being
possible, given arbitrary configurations files in arbitrary
locations all over the firmament.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---