Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:02:03 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@samodelkin.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xorg 7.x and non-standard X11BASE

Max Khon wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I received a bunch of port build failure logs wrt. move to Xorg 7.x.
>
> I would like to know if there is known easy way to reproduce build
> failures with Xorg 7.x.

Currently we have 2 locations for files installed by ports. LOCALBASE
(which defaults to /usr/local) and X11BASE (which defaults to
/usr/X11R6). When xorg 7 is imported, it will be installing into
/usr/local. Shortly thereafter the plan is to do away with the X11BASE
stuff altogether, and have all ports install into /usr/local.

In order to prepare for this change, and to fix as many ports as
possible before it happens, the ports cluster has started running
experimental builds with X11BASE set to something that is not
/usr/X11R6 AND not /usr/local. So, you can easily reproduce this
condition by doing the same thing yourself. That's the good news. The
bad news is that in order to test stuff, you have to rebuild your X
related ports with the new X11BASE.

There are two ways to do this. Either way you choose, you have to put
something like this in /etc/make.conf:  X11BASE= /usr/local/xorg
I chose that directory for my experiment, you can use whatever
directory works for you that is NOT /usr/X11R6 or /usr/local.

Then you can either do this:

cd /var/db/
mv pkg pkg-X11R6
cd /usr/
mv X11R6 save-X11R6
cd /usr/ports/your/port
make (or portmaster $PWD)

or

If you want to make the change permanent, follow the instructions in
/usr/ports/UPDATING related to the gnome move to /usr/local, and use
portupgrade or portmaster to upgrade everything that depends on
pkg-config.

hth,

Doug