Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:56:49 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
Cc:        Per Tore Larsen <per.tore.larsen@fernonorden.com>, "'Danny'" <dannyho@bigpond.net.au>, Dem Chuasieng <dem@goodview.com.cn>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SV: it seems www.hotmail.com is not using FreeBSD

--mojUlQ0s9EVzWg2t

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 08:24:33AM -0500, Joe Oliveiro wrote:
> M$'s original goal was to take hotmail and have it completely ran off
> M$. However, Exchange could not handle the loads therefor they replaced
> the front end to give it the appearance of running of 2k, which in fact it
> is (for the webserver) but the backend structure has remained the same,
> powered by fbsd. Ofcourse, this is just mho.

You're expressing your humble opinion based on guesswork..never a wise
thing.

Hotmail ran, and continues to run, on Solaris servers for handling the
email backend. FreeBSD has been phased out of the web server frontend
and it now runs exclusively on Win2k. This was a directive from
Redmond for political reasons, not due to the failure or inadequacy of
FreeBSD to support the task.

Kris

--=20
NOTE: To fetch an updated copy of my GPG key which has not expired,
finger kris@FreeBSD.org

--mojUlQ0s9EVzWg2t

--mojUlQ0s9EVzWg2t--