Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:03:01 -0300
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Port Mgr <portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG>, eivind@FreeBSD.org, Anders Nor Berle <debolaz@debolaz.com>
Subject:   Re: ports/36433: new port: microsoft sscli

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 03:50:46PM -0500, Alan Eldridge wrote:
> >Synopsis: new port: microsoft sscli
> >

> Is this such a good idea? The license has a "poison pill" clause that
> intentionally opens developers who read the code to copyright and patent
> infringement lawsuits. It's bait to nail OSS developers; this is why
> the Mono project says developers should *not* have any contact with it.
>
> Maybe I'm being paranoid, but given the potential damage M$ could do
> when it finally decides to start going after people and projects who
> can't afford to fight a never-ending lawsuit, it might be a good idea to
> run this by legal@ before even including it in ports. Can FreeBSD afford
> a protracted court battle against a company with more money than some
> small countries?
>
> This certainly should not be packaged, nor should fetch be able to
> automatically grab it.

	I was afraid of such legal issues. I voiced my concerns to
submitter. I've already added NO_PACKAGE, NO_CDROM.
	I think, I'll add all NO_* flags with appropriate warnings:
'Possible legal implications'
	Addind appropriate information to ports/LEGAL

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdn-files/027/001/901/ShSourceCLIbetaLicense.htm
>
> <quote>
>  You may use any information in intangible form that you remember after
>  accessing the Software. However, this right does not grant you a
>  license to any of Microsoft's copyrights or patents for anything you
>  might create using such information.
> </quote>

	Also, fetch should be manual. pre-fetch should say something
like:

	"This program come with strings attached. The developers
	reserves all rights so use of this software may imply in
	legal problems."

	Something like that. I just thought of this. Any of you
guys with legalese expertise can help?

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
Computer Science Undergraduate | FreeBSD Committer | CS Developer