Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 2004 08:29:39 +0200
From:      "Willie Viljoen" <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        "Tuc at the Beach House" <tuc@tucs-beachin-obx-house.com>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        tuc@ttsg.com
Subject:   Re: Whats the best solution?

SSH :-)

Have a look at the ssh(1) manpage. The port forwarding should be able to do
what you are looking for. Also, to get the authentication to be automatic,
set up your SSH to use public keys, and use a passphraseless public key on
your laptop. This will let it automatically log in and set up the tunnel.
You can then tunnel any TCP traffic through a secure channel to your server.
This is all described in the man page.

For DNS, use the IP address of the server you plan to use for the other end
of the tunnel. As long as you open only UDP port 53 and configure it
sensibly, there should be no security risk to running a DNS that accepts
from any IP, all proper DNS servers need to do this anyway. This way, you
can run your own DNS, and possibly even put in some private DNS tricks to
make working with the tunnel easier.

Will