Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:30:17 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote Single User Mode.

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 06:03:48AM -0400, Grant Peel wrote:

> I have 4 servers in Toronto (I live in London, about 120 miles south). Mo=
st admin I can do remotely of course, but I was wondering, if there exists =
a software/hardware solution that might actually allow one to reboot any on=
e of the machines remotely and alllow access in single user mode. Obviously=
, that machine would not be accessable via the normal netwrk method, but ag=
ain, is there a KVM - software that would allow local access in single user=
 mode VIA a network connection to one of the other servers, or the KVM dire=
ctly?

The device you're looking for is a 'Console Server'.  There are any
number of such devices available off the shelf -- Lantronix makes some
reasonably good ones.

However, if you don't want to spend money, you can daisy-chain your
FreeBSD boxes together using null-modem cables between the serial
ports and use tip(1) as a terminal emulator. In any case you need to
make your servers use a serial port as the system console:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole=
-setup.html

	Cheers,

	Matthew