Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 22:59:09 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.org (Jordan K. Hubbard), hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/boot/dosboot ansi.h boot.c boot.h bootinfo.h cdefs.h dinode.h dir.h dirent.h disk.c disklabe.h dkba

> Now I do. But then, if this is the main use, my point is why not
> hack netboot.com to do it ?
>
> netboot sources contain the commands to cross compile code for DOS
> under FreeBSD, and to load the kernel to the desired place. Plus, there
> are procedures to go back and forth from real mode. And, as the kernel is
> read from a DOS filesystem, you don't even need to put there code to
> understand the FreeBSD filesystem, just call the appropriate INT 21.

If you can give us a copy of netboot that does fully everything that
dosboot currently does (with the same VCPI support), then I'd say yes,
let's toss it.  But you will have to get this code to us VERY SOON
because we need that functionality for the 2.1 install!  Can you have
it ready by next week?

Thanks!

					Jordan