Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:07:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James E. Flemer" <jflemer@acm.jhu.edu>
To:        <freebsd-binup@freebsd.org>
Subject:   updating shared libs

Wow, there is traffic here once again. Anyway, I was
wondering if anyone has ideas about how one would go about
replacing shared libs (assuming they are in use by running
procs). Will doing so cause any problems? I assume that
renaming a file won't cause problems because the inode is
preserved, so the VM will still know where the backing
store is. But what about upgrading something like libjpeg
that may be in use by lots of programs. How should a binup
type program deal with this?

It would be nice if whatever binup process could provide
patch, rollback, commit type operations to test patches w/o
committing them on a running system. This would need a safe
way of messing w/ shared libs w/o breaking stuff though.

-James