Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2008 18:38:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        "Ed Schouten" <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@freebsd.org>

On Sun, March 2, 2008 4:04 pm, Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was just speaking with another dutch FreeBSD user (and developer)
> about FreeBSD mailing lists.
>
> I know so far most of the national FreeBSD user groups have their own
> infrastructure that doesn't use any services from the FreeBSD project
> (for example, the Dutch BSD User Group, D-BUG).
>
> Even though I am convinced the FreeBSD project should remain focused on
> developing its flagship product, the operating system, I think the
> community would have a great advantage if the project would already host
> national mailing lists, which should only be used for questions in the
> rare cases where the person doesn't understand English, but mainly to
> coordinate activities which have a national scope.

I think differently.

I started running nz.freebsd.org after it became clear there was nobody
else running (it was delegated but neglected).  Anything specific to NZ
(such as ISOs) occurs on those lists.  I no longer run the domain, but
it still thrives.

> These mailing lists could be used to discuss upcoming events and
> conferences, but could also be used for discussions about translations
> of the documentation.
>
> Is there a reason why such mailing lists don't exist yet? If not, what
> kind of procedures should one follow to create a mailing list for a
> certain language?

Get the domain delgated to yourself and go from there.  I think if you
want stuff for a specific country code, show up to the party and have
the mailman stuff ready to go.  Then just get the domain delegated to
yourself.
--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/