Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:21:47 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS and FIREWALL

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 07:51:42AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> A valid point. If your server gets lots of AXFRs for a large zone, the
> lack of TCP capability would certainly block it. But, if I understand
> the attack correctly, it would also be prevented by use of the
> allow-transfer directive in the configuration.

Oh, this deserves a big thanks.  I just read about allow-query too in my
bind docs.  This is just what I was thinking.

You can't always stop a DoS attack, especially if it comes in the form
of many hundred udp requests.  However, a properly tuned allow-query is
an easy way of stopping well known 'problem sources'.

Thanks for hinting on allow-transfer and making me read my bind docs
more carefully ;)

- Giorgos Keramidas