Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 94 9:30:18 EAT
From:      Yen-Wei Liu <ywliu@beta.wsl.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        sc67+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth Andrew Covitz)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot Manager Prob?

>     I have FREE-BSD installed on a second hard drive, and can boot the
> kernel if I manually type in "wd0(1,a)/kernel" at the "Boot:" prompt.
> However, I would like for the kernel boot automatically.
>
>     The problem is that I am running other operating systems, and use
> IBM's Boot Manager to boot off of the C drive. I realize if I replace
> IBM's Boot Manager with the one from FREE-BSD, it will most likely solve
> my problem, but I am afraid that I will lose contact with my other
> operating systems.
>
> Is there another way? Am I thinking the right thing?

Actually, replacing IBM's Boot Manager won't solve your problem : You still
have to key in wd(1,a)/kernel manually. The problem lies not in the Boot
Manager but in the FreeBSD boot loader. You have to modify it to make
it load from wd(1,a). I am looking into this one and hope to get a workaround.

OTOH, if you replace your Boot Manager with other equivalents, OS/2 ( if
you have ) may not boot. I use OSBS from tools/dos-tools directory and
put OS/2 Boot Manager in it as an boot item. I first select OS/2 Boot Manager
then select OS/2.

--
Yen-Wei Liu (ywliu@beta.wsl.sinica.edu.tw)