Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 17:44:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), cp@bsdi.com (Chuck Paterson), dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sparc & api for asynchronous task execution (2)

> Terry Lambert wrote:
> >
> > > }I didn't realize that every function call involved a fault on the sparc
> > > }architecture - that sounds pretty nasty.
> > >
> > >       Actually every function call doesn't cause a fault, every
> > > time you overflow/underflow the current set of register windows causes a
> > > fault. (Perhaps what you meant). This means that calling a function
> > > from the bottom most function will cause two faults, one for going down
> > > and one eventually as you go up.
> > >
> > >       This makes going up and down when you don't overflow
> > > very fast at the expense of when you add to the total depth.
>
> The register window sizes weren't picked willy-nilly.  The SPARC default
> size is 7 windows, chosen after months of analyzing every M68K SunOS
> program they could get their hands, including compiled C, Pascal, LISP,
> and Fortran programs.
>
> I suspect C++ and Java probably skew these stats a little.  This might
> account for the 8 windows in more modern SPARC processors.

Please watch your attributions; I said none of this.  The
truncated pat that included my comments was merely a reference to
the 1991 University of Washington paper on SPARC register windows
and user space threading, which has a good discussion of SPARC
register windows.

PS: Not to give you a hard time, but this stuff is archived, and I
am always prepared to defend/acknowledge-incorrectness for everything
I say, but not for what others say.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.