Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 01:51:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>
To:        Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building new mail system

> Hello all,
>
> We're putting together a new box to handle mail.. thought I would pick your
> brains a little for advice. Hopefully someone has done this already.
>
> We are planning on using 4x9gig Cheetahs in a RAID 0+1 configuration..
> Currently we are looking at two RAID-RAID controllers.
>
> 1) Mylex 2 CHANNEL RAID W-U SCSI DACSXI
> 2) CMD CRD-5440 or CRD-5500's
>
> Few questions.. can anyone recommend one of the above controllers over the
> other? If so, for what reasons. Does the RAID 0+1 seem like the way to go?
> Or should we go with something like RAID 5?
>
> The reason we aren't going with something like the DPT controllers is that
> you have to boot to DOS to fix a failure... which isn't good imho. Any other
> controller/setup recommendations are welcome..
>
> TIA,
>
> Jason

 I personaly recomend the infortrend SCSI-SCSI RAID unit. We use LOTS of them
in RAID 5 and RAID 1 and they are great. I tested them up against the Mylex and
they blew it away. Hot swap spares and online rebuilds... They rock.

One caveat is that if you use the Adaptec 2940 card, disable  (I think) "allow
disconnects."

 www.infortrend.com

  Nicole

          nicole@nmhtech.com | http://www.webweaver.net/